These grade descriptions are indicative only, do not replace the assessment criteria for
individual tasks, and may not be applicable to all subjects.
F (Fail) 0%- 50%
UNSATISFACTORY work that fails to meet the basic assessment criteria and which:
- Is conceptually or structurally unsound; is largely irrelevant, inaccurate or unsuitable;
- Shows evidence that the problem/brief/task has not been understood;
- Contains insufficient design resolution or construction detail;
- Makes unsustainable (or no) conclusions from the brief/data presented;
- Includes unjustified or un-substantiated claims; contains unsatisfactory elements;
- Confuses opinion with fact; uses inappropriate materials;
- Is incoherent in its development/resolution.
P (Pass) 50%- 64%
SATISFACTORY work that:
- Shows understanding of the task;
- Uses data, resolutions and materials relevant to the topic/task/report;
- Generally addresses the topic/brief and organises the material/structure/design clearly;
- Relies on provided data/materials/designs with little transformation;
- May lack sufficient or appropriate analysis and resolution;
- May include contentions/solutions not properly supported with appropriate evidence.
- Shows evidence of research and demonstrates a good understanding of appropriate sources/resolutions/models
- Demonstrates clear understanding of the main problems/challenges/issues;
- Uses data/materials relevant to the task although mainly re-worked examples;
- If written task, is succinctly summarised but little more than paraphrased;
- Includes appropriate analysis of problem/brief/data;
- Generally supports contentions with appropriate evidence/solution;
- Develops a structure/design/report that organises the material clearly.
D (Distinction)75- 84%
- Shows evidence of good research, sound preparation, wide reading and/or use of other sources;
- Uses sources/examples appropriately & identifies/designs/builds connections between them;
- Shows evidence of the ability to draw implications from theory and conclusions from examples/briefs/data;
- Develops a structure/design that gives excellent coverage of the topic/resolution of the brief.
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze and integrate a broad range of relevant sources and materials;
- Shows an understanding of a range of theoretical perspectives/practical resolutions and how they relate to practice;
- Is well-researched, with data collected selectively from a wide range of examples/sources;
- Interprets data/brief consistently and with insight;
- Is well-structured, develops logical conclusions/resolutions that reflect the evidence and/or brief/arguments presented.
HD (High Distinction) 85-100%
- Contains a high level of abstract/innovative conceptualisation related to practice;
- Shows an understanding of the major relevant theoretical perspectives/ designs/reports;
- Is thoroughly researched, with data collected discriminately from a wide range of sources;
- Interprets the data/resolves the problem consistently and intelligently;
- Offers a sophisticated structural control in presenting and developing the material/resolution and in reaching conclusions/solutions.